Saturday, March 7, 2009

Non-Fiction Books I Liked

What non-fiction books are you reading?

8 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed, 1776. Great insight on how bad things really were and spoiled my conception of Thanksgiving. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just put down Thunderstruck, a "New York Bestseller" "a ripping yarn of murder and invention" (Marconi's telegraph stuff) It only made me yawn. Odd, it is written by same author of Devil in the White City that I really enjoyed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Almost done with In the Heart of the Sea. True account of the a whale ship around 1820, it's sinking and survival of some crew members. Unbelievable struggles, faith and cannibalism. Did you know it was common practice to draw lots of who would be the next meal? Very good read!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just finished "midnight in the garden of good and evil." Originally published in 1994, later made into a movie directed by Clint Eastwood. Story of eccentic lives in Savannah Georgia. Interesting read - I rate it a 4 out of 5.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just finished Escape by Carolyn Jessop. She fled the FLDS compound just before Warren Jeffs took over completly. It was fascinating and I give it 5 out of 5!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Kim. I wondered about this book. I just put down The Forgotten Man, history of the great depression. Started out good, has a few good lines in it, but it can't keep my interest. 3/4 through it and literally put it down.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Running with Scissors, Augusten Burroghs. It says it's a New York Times best seller. We obviously have different opinion on what a best seller should be. I put it down @ 1/3 through, kept waiting for it to get better. Well written, just the content wasn't for me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just finished, The Monster of Florence, a true who-done-it crime story. Very interesting how their criminal justice system and sub-cultures works compared to ours. A best-seller for a reason.

    ReplyDelete