I'm currently reading Confederates in the Attic, by Troy Horwitz, non-fiction. What started out as his desire to tour Civil War sites has progressed to his perspective upon the real meaning of the Rebel flag, and what he found out about the true South. Being Jewish adds humor and his understanding of prejudices. For me, it's an eye opener on racism and views from the southerners, both black and white, good and bad, to include the shooting death of a white, red-neck racist, by a black youth fulfilling the "expected" role he thought he had to fill. It's and easy read, full of facts, but not statistic numbing information, with an interesting sub story and insight on the civil war battles reenacted by hobbyists whose following is growing (who knew?) (Did you know Rebel soldiers -then and now the reenactors-spooned while they slept on the frozen grounds in an attempt to stay warm?)
I give it 4 out of 5 stars so far, about 1/3 through and recommend it to any one interested in the southern, complicated the life-style. A "National Best Seller."
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
They say "truth is stranger than fiction" so I see why you like reading true stories. I do too; but I also like fiction based on true stories.like Charles Frazier's "Cold Mountain" about the Civil War. I lived through WWII,and Scott Turow's "Ordinary Heroes" is an amazing account of battlefield heroics, personal fears, family secrets kept out of fear; a differnet perspective from the movie newsreels and radio newscasts of the times. I highly recommend both books.
ReplyDeleteThanks, mom. Will look for Ordinary Heros.
ReplyDelete